St. Joseph is not the biological father of Jesus, whose Father is God alone, and yet he lives his fatherhood fully and completely.
Of True Humility 1.
Blessed is he 2. who shall be found as humble among his subjects as if he were among his masters. Blessed is the servant who always continues under the rod of correction. He is “a faithful and wise servant”(Matt 24:45) 3. who does not delay to punish himself for all his offences,(obsolete spelling) interiorly by contrition and exteriorly by confession and by works of satisfaction.
It is recorded in Mark 10:45 and also in Matthew 20:28 that
Mark 10:45.Nam et Filius hominis non venit ut ministraretur ei, sed ut ministraret, et daret animam suam redemptionem pro multis. 4. – this was Francis’ Scripture, that which he knew or else had interpreted for him.
 For the Son of man also is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a redemption for many. and the Douay -Rheims is it’s closest English translation. 4.
If our Lord Jesus in his humility did not come to be served but to serve then how much more ought we be ready to serve our fellow religious whether they be our masters or our subjects. If we have attained bless-edness then also humanity, then all our fellow Religious are as one to us and we serve all alike.
“To continue under the rod of correction”” is a faithful and wise servant” – sometimes monks in other Orders might use what was called a ‘discipline’ for correction though it was not recorded that the Friars Minor ever did.
It is by interior repentance and sorrow for our offences, exteriorly by the confession of our sins – in the formal Sacramental sense through one of the two main Rites of Reconciliation as Catholics; otherwise according to James 5:6 “Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.”(Douay-Rheims) – Chapter of Faults.
Followed by works of satisfaction. Here I do not visualize the multitude of arguments arising from Thomas Aquinas’ Summa Theologica on the economy of Salvation but rather simple acts to remind us to grow towards bless-edness.6.
As one draws closer to the Lord we are overcome by smaller sins as though they were great and so the Religious in question has committed but a faux pas yet sees it as a great breach of his relationship with God. Any breach in our personal relationships is likewise a breach of that sacred relationship but Praise God! Unless we fall into grievous temptation they are easy to mend.
- 1. The Writings of Saint Francis of Assisi – Online Library of Liberty. 2015. The Writings of Saint Francis of Assisi – Online Library of Liberty. [ONLINE] Available at: http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/1172#lf0535_label_151. [Accessed 14 October 2015].
- 2. Cod An reads “Blessed is that superior . . . ” http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/1172#lf0535_label_161
- 3.The Faithful or the Unfaithful Slave
45 ‘Who then is the faithful and wise slave, whom his master has put in charge of his household, to give the other slaves their allowance of food at the proper time?’ New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. 2015. (New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.devotions.net/bible/00bible.htm. [Accessed 14 October 2015]).
- 4. Douay-Rheims Bible with Latin Vulgate, Gospel According to Saint Mark Chapter 10. 2015. Douay-Rheims Bible with Latin Vulgate, Gospel According to Saint Mark Chapter 10. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drl&bk=48&ch=10&l=45#x. [Accessed 14 October 2015].
- 5. James 5:16 DRB. 2015. James 5;16 DRB. [ONLINE] Available at: http://biblehub.com/drb/james/5.htm. [Accessed 14 October 2015].
- 6. Title Page. 2015. Title Page. [ONLINE] Available at: http://biblehub.com/library/aquinas/summa_theologica/index.html. [Accessed 14 October 2015].