noun: sacrament; plural noun: sacraments
- (in the Christian Church) a ceremony regarded as imparting spiritual grace, in particular:
- (in the Roman Catholic and many Orthodox Churches) the seven rites of baptism, confirmation, the Eucharist, penance, anointing of the sick, ordination, and matrimony.
“a priest visits regularly to celebrate Mass and administer the sacraments”
- (among Protestants) baptism and the Eucharist.
- (in Catholic use) the consecrated elements of the Eucharist, especially the bread or Host.
noun: the Blessed Sacrament; noun: Blessed Sacrament; noun: Holy Sacrament
“he heard Mass and received the sacrament”
- a thing of mysterious and sacred significance; a religious symbol.
“they used peyote as a sacrament”
1.Ecclesiastical. a visible sign of an inward grace, especially one of the solemn Christian rites considered to have been instituted by Jesus Christ to symbolize or confer grace: the sacraments of the Protestant churches are baptism and the Lord’s Supper; the sacraments of the Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox churches are baptism, confirmation, the Eucharist, matrimony, penance, holy orders, and extreme unction.
2.(often initial capital letter). Also called Holy Sacrament. the Eucharist or Lord’s Supper.
3.the consecrated elements of the Eucharist, especially the bread.
4.something regarded as possessing a sacred character or mysterious significance.
5.a sign, token, or symbol.
6.an oath; solemn pledge.
Finally go to Theopedia: An encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity for a definitive article on the Origin of the Theology of Sacrament.
- 1. Sacrament meaning – Google Search. 2015. Sacrament meaning – Google Search. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Sacrament+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=1dIoVqaDPILLmAWwu52IDQ. [Accessed 22 October 2015].
- 2. Dictionary.com, “sacrament,” in Dictionary.com Unabridged. Source location: Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sacrament. Available: http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: October 22, 2015.