Day of remembrance 1st July.
He was the third son of Richard Venn, vicar of St Antholin, Budge Row in London. He was educated at the University of Cambridge from 1742, studying at St John’s and Jesus colleges; he graduated B.A. in 1745 and M.A. in 1749. He also played cricket, for All England against Surrey.
Venn took orders in 1747, and was elected fellow of Queens’ College, Cambridge, in 1749. After holding a curacy at Barton, Cambridgeshire, he became curate of both St Matthew, Friday Street, in the City of London, and of West Horsley, Surrey, in 1750. Local clergy already considered him a Methodist (in later terms, an evangelical), since he taught Scripture in his home and the number of communicants at West Horsley increased from twelve to sixty. However, it was only at this time that his beliefs moved from the High Church views of The Whole Duty of Man to the more evangelical position of A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life. In 1754 he became curate of Clapham and was also elected lecturer of St Swithin’s, London Stone and St Alban’s Wood Street.
From 1759 to 1771, Venn was vicar of Huddersfield Parish Church. He found a small group of like-minded Yorkshire clergy: Richard Conyers, William Grimshaw of Haworth, James Stillingfleet. In 1771 he exchanged to the living of Yelling, Huntingdonshire where he drew as visitors William Faris, Joseph Jowett, Thomas Robinson and Charles Simeon. He died in the rectory, and is commemorated by a plaque over the pulpit of the parish church.
Source: Henry Venn (Clapham Sect) – wikipedia